Cabbage Roll Casserole is a convenient, easy meat recipe for any occasion. This is one of those dishes that tastes better after it stays in the fridge for a day or two.
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 lbs. ground lean beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, drain and reserve liquid for later basting, if necessary
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Dried basil, oregano and/or thyme, to taste (about 1/2 tsp. of each)
- Optional: 1/8 tsp. hot paprika
- 1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 cup raisins, golden
Note: If the casserole requires extra liquid while it is baking, use the reserved liquid as suggested above or a cup of chicken or beef stock.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. You will need a 9 x 13″ baking dish with a cover, or tin foil.
In a skillet, brown beef and onions in oil over medium high heat until meat is no longer red. Drain off the fat and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cabbage, diced tomatoes, rice, salt, pepper, garlic powder and if desired, hot paprika. Add the meat and onion mixture to the bowl and blend all ingredients. Add the tomato sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar and raisins. Once all ingredients are blended, transfer them into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
Bake covered for 30 minutes, uncover and mix casserole around gently. Baste with reserved liquid from canned tomatoes if moisture is needed. Replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
Cabbage Roll Casserole serves 6-8