Planning an amazing meal for guests is very easy. The trick is to stay organized and to keep it simple! These six steps will make any event into an affair to remember.
1. Select a meat course that you know everyone will enjoy. When in doubt, chicken roasted with vegetables is a one pan menu and a “sure thing”. Who doesn’t like chicken?
2. When entertaining, only have one bread choice. Sliced baguette or warm soft rolls are best, but it depends on the guests. If you need something fancy, make an herb flavored olive oil by mixing store bought olive oil with spices and a little garlic salt.
3. When selecting vegetables, think one starch, one green. Example: Roasted sweet potatoes and sauteed garlic green beans. Herb rice and spinach with garlic.
4. Salad should compliment the meal and not over power it. Example: with meat and vegetables, a nice roasted pear with light dressing. If more vegetables are needed, select 3 vegetables, such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and top with french fried onions. Use your favorite dressing with this, as just about any will do.
5. Dessert should be simple and delicious. One of my favorites is frozen fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries on a pretty plate. Just before serving, pour on hot white chocolate. A sprig of mint or a butter cookie is nice as well.
6. Beverage. If wine can be served, select one nice wine, don’t worry about what goes with what. Just serve what you like.
The most important thing is to enjoy yourself!
Sara Beaulier is a former restaurant and hotel owner with over fifty years of experience creating culinary memories. She has worked for Playboy International, Westin Hotels as well as a variety of small, independent restaurant and catering operations. She can be reached at email@example.com