How do you make a tasty Reuben sandwich kosher? Take out the dairy and roll the rest in a puff pastry roll. This is perfect for a Shabbat appetizer.
1 pound (500 grams) frozen puff pastry dough (*parve), defrosted
250 grams corn beef, sliced
1 cup sauerkraut
poppy seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
2. Defrost pastry dough according to package directions. Lay out pastry dough flat, and spread mustard on the dough.
3. Slice the corn beef into small cubes. In a skillet, saute the corn beef until heated through. Add the sauerkraut, stirring together until the mixture is well combined and the flavors have mingled. Lay the corn beef and saurkraut mixture on top of the mustard.
4. Roll the dough up. Brush the roll with egg. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.
5. Bake at 350 °F (180°C) for 35-40 minutes, or until browned.
Note: Make sure the puff pastry dough you buy is parve.
Recipe and photo originally found here.